Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Untitled Poem

by Thomas Gumbel



1: A Great Upheaval
Three
Small
Words.
It ends tonight.
Repeated over and over,
In fight
Or flight.
When the top of the world
Falls on them…
What will I do?
A brief moment
Of sympathy.
Why cry
When grampa deserves to die?
Stakes in our hearts keeping us asleep,
Following black suit after black suit
To lay him down!
As a sad statue looks on
And I wonder, in the end,
Does a still angel cry on all of us,
Or only those despised enough to be remembered?
Angel. Don’t turn your back on me.
I won’t be ignored.
Bury me…
Carry me… to the end?
…Famous last words.
WhydoIpartakeinprayerbecauseI DON’T…
Want to go to Hell.
But upon further consideration
Of this monster we call “sanctuary”…
I hate everything about it.
In our time of dying, must we give over
To a man in a giant hat
And his sexless patients…?
Or is he the one the Authority should blame?
2: Exile
Oh, look at all the lonely people…
Where?
I look in the mirror…
And there is my answer.
Satisfied?
Not hardly.
They tell me that salvation
Is just a shout away, across the rocks,
Of my own island.
I don’t feel like Satan!
But to myself… oh yes I am. And in my hole…
I burn out… and fade away.
WHY, am I trapped here?
Can I talk at all?
Can I take the steps I want, to survive
One day under the sun?
…No.
I’m so cold.
Don’t turn away!
These bones can love, just as any!
Oh. You’re walking away. It’s over now.
Fine.
I’ve lost myself. But not in the music…
The music…
Yes.
Every day, until I collapse, I shall-
They say it’s gonna be all right.
I’m going down, to the shore of my island.
3: M
If I was your vampire
I’d spit-roast my heart for you to eat…
How perfect.
Something beautiful, and something free.
Taken from me.
She’s having a smoke…
And he’s taking a drag…
And my stomach is sick!
And I’m going to bed.
My bones, on your bones.
Did it mean anything?
I cannot live,
I cannot die.
How do you like me now?
Listen dammit, I will win!
I’m not going anywhere until I-!
…Fuck it.
Take me home.
With the lights out, it’s less dangerous
To throw eggs
In long arcs
To crash down
With loud pops.
My hero.
Slow, how you wanted it to be.
I’m so-
No.
FUCK that, you’re so cold!
YOU, my polyamorous friend,
Got ME in a mass of trouble, AGAIN!
And I can’t chase you
Across half the damned world!
No.
I will keep myself
A million miles away!
…Fucking great. We’re in this together now.
Why can’t you just be sober?!
Because this body holding you…
Is killing you.
…Pardon me while I burst into flame.
I’m no Jesus.
I can’t hold you up. So please… Do what you do best…
And leave me hanging out to dry.
4: Resurgence
I have become…
Painfully numb?
As I remember the nights of wonder
Where grass was greener
On every hill we made our bitch!
And now that everyone’s shoved off,
I finally see the threat is real,
Of emergency wounds
Of being alone,
Of my own comfortable lying.
But I’m not crazy.
I just see the erratic patterns and do-si-does of this dizzy dance… we call life.
When one life dies,
Another lies, or tells the world how he feels
With the sound of a gat.
But I…
I feel so alive.
And I AM aware now
That everything’s gonna be fine!
But I am so ashamed of
The role I play in the dying of a light
And the rifts that open, forming space
Between lives… where death blooms.
In this hole that is me
Awakens a new being
That can get through anything,
And he looks to the West
And imagines a life completely without me.

No comments:

Post a Comment